Monday, January 7, 2013

Our Spiritual Walk Through Human Experience

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was a French Jesuit priest who said, "We are all spiritual beings having a human experience."  I would venture to say that most people would say it the other way around, that "We are all human beings having a spiritual experience."  But I'm in agreement with de Chardin.  Scripture tells us that God made man in His image.  Although human beings have many of the same attributes of each other, we all look very different.  There are many different races, all with varying characteristics that make it so you can definitely tell us apart from each other.  If our human bodies are all so different,  how is it that we are all made in the image of God?

Could it be that when God formed us in His image, He meant His spiritual image and then He shrouded our spirit in a human form?  I remember when my mom passed from this life to the next, I was terrified to walk into the funeral home and see her there for the first time.  I prayed, took a deep breath and linked arms with my dad as we walked into the room together with my siblings.  I slowly moved my eyes towards her, shaking to my very core.  She looked so beautiful and so peaceful.  She looked just like herself, but at the same time, she looked nothing like herself.  I knew in an instant, that my mother wasn't there.  This, before me, was merely the shell that my mother was housed in while she walked on this earth.

I was actually comforted by this thought.  I remember a small smile coming across my lips as I considered that she was now with the Lord.  What if our humanness is just along for the ride, moving us from experience to experience? If we look at the totality of our lives as spiritual beings experiencing humankind, it changes how we see ourselves and others.  And it should, change the way we treat the people we bump up against in life.

When I remember that I am a spiritual being, I'm encouraged that the possibilities of being a light in a dark world are very real.  I'm merely a vessel for the Lord to work through to touch the lives of those around me.  And the Lord also brings others across my path that will help me heal from the wounds of living in a human fallen world.  Our human experience has limits but our spiritual being knows no bounds when it comes to reflecting the love of God, the presence of peace and the power of grace, mercy and forgiveness.

Imagine living a life, where we don't put such importance on people's human looks, failings or limitations, but where we celebrate the Divine in them, the God in them.  I'm not saying that we should let others walk on us or that as a society, we should tolerate & let people get away with evil. But I find that when I celebrate the God like qualities in people, they tend to allow those characteristics to grow and their broken human tendencies to diminish.

It's not an easy way to live and I tend to slip back into my humanness and see people in their humanness,  But I find that when I spend time in prayer and praise and worship and in the presence of the Lord, I'm able to remember that He created me in His image.  He imparted His character to me, giving me the ability to be a "spiritual being having a human experience."  I pray that you are able to allow the Godly traits that were imparted to you when you were created, to shine and grow, causing the things in you that are not of God, to diminish and lose strength.  If you are facing tough circumstances in 2013, my hope for you is that you are able to see the infinite possibilities, in God, that will help you walk through those experiences coming out of them stronger and purer.

From His lap,




23 comments:

  1. That's beautiful, Erin, and so true.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. A reader on twitter challenged me to write on this topic!

      Love you!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  2. Erin, I think of you so often and was so happy to read this post! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!! I hope it is off to a wonderful and blessed start. I loved this uplifting, inspiring post. The way you wrote of your mother was beautiful and touching...it reminded me of my mother's mom and her passing. It was such a trying, emotional experience but beautiful at the same time.
    I'm sending lots of love your way! Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria,

      I have been following your progress. I'm so excited to "see" your new baby!!! I can't tell you how happy I am to share in your joy! You have been so faithful in your love of the Lord and He has blessed you mightily. I'll be peeking in on you again very soon!

      Love you, sister!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  3. Hi Erin! :)

    Very beautifully written sister! Even though we are different, we can all be united because the love of God unites all Christians. He made us different to learn, love and honor each other and to unite us all in a glorious symphony with His Son! And something magical happens when we put our focus on encouraging and making others shine; not only does it just feel good, it brings great value and joy to those around us.

    Blessings and love throughout this brand New Year!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Denise! Thank God He put His character in us to utilize to love others and others to love us!! I pray that my spirit man increases daily while my earthly man diminishes!
      You are such a blessing!

      ~Erin

      Delete
  4. Oh Erin, this is so beautiful! I cannot express what did for me other than blessed my heart. The picture of you and your dad just melted me (and I'm not easily melted). Lovely, lovely.
    God be glorified through you my friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog! I am so blessed by your comment...my biggest hope in this life is for God to be glorified through me!

      You bless me!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  5. I love that quote Erin! What a reminder this is for me. We're made in His image, spiritual beings. ~ Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I had never heard that quote before. A gentleman on twitter challenged me to write a blog post on it and I'm so glad he did, because it really made me think. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Many blessings to you, Amy!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  6. Your post was quite moving and profound, but the part that hit me between the eyes? "In His lap." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Julie. I'm so glad you stopped by. I loved reading your post about your appearance on Anderson Cooper. Your honesty blessed me.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I'm so glad you stopped by. I'm so glad it blessed you! I loved reading your post about your appearance on Anderson Cooper. Your honesty blessed me.

      Erin

      Delete
  8. Hi Erin, it's nice to meet you. I loved it when you asked this: Could it be that when God formed us in His image, He meant His spiritual image and then He shrouded our spirit in a human form? I believe that's exactly what He meant. Very good post and I've enjoyed my visit. Blessings. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and I hope it blessed you.

      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  9. Erin,I see this post was written in Jan...so first I pray all is well with you. I do hope you come back to write again for your words are encouraging and so true.

    I am sure we are formed in His spiritual image which is all the qualities of divine. He speaks, we speak, He breathes since he blew breath into Adam, we breathe, we long, so does He and of course there is so much more. He does not share our sinful nature though and aren't we glad. Good post. I will come back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty,

    I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you so much for your kind words. I have taken a break from writing. I'm spending time hearing from the Lord concerning the what He would have me do next. I am not giving up writing, just praying!

    Blessings,
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Erin! Thank you for a very inspiring post. I hope to read another one (I hope I don't sound so demanding) again. God bless you...

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Kristine. I'm so glad you enjoy reading my posts. Many blessings,
      Erin

      Delete
  11. Thanks a whole lot for those messages of inspiration and encouragement. I totally agree that we should trust in Him no matter what life may bring. It is through Him that we can be saved the trials of life. He also said to carry your own cross, the way He carried His.

    Our Website Online PhD UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy,

      Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope this post blessed you.

      Erin

      Delete
  12. Nuggets of truth ... exactly my heart to deposit in our kids.

    What a blessing to find you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. THis looks like a beautifully refreshing place to dip into some goodness.

    Also wanted to extend an invite, to have you splash other moms. Moms. Refreshed. Rejuvenated.

    I jot some few notes on Mondays. But it's a link up whenever you can kind of thing. I understand the filled to the brim momma schedules. We would be honored to have you join. Just moms. Sharing our notes. Creating a melody.

    Splashin' Momma,
    Sarah

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/06/slosh-grace.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by and "splashed around." I will be sure to check out your site!

      Blessings,
      Erin

      Delete

Thank you for giving us a little nugget of truth from your heart!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...