Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Making Memories

Christmas is always magical for me.  I've written before about how my mother's love for all things Christmas has been instilled deep in me.  The weekend of Thanksgiving starts a build up of anticipation for the mood, attitude and feeling of the season.  It has absolutely nothing to do with presents (although I love giving them), but everything to do with how magical it makes me feel.

Little slivers of longing sometimes creep in as I remember my mom or cry for a child that can't make it home that year, but all in all, I'm full of a feeling of optimism and joy.  One day, right before Christmas this year, my husband dropped me off at a particular store.  While I waited for him to park the car, I stood next to the somber elderly greeter just inside the door and helped him greet customers.  By the time my husband came in, the greeter, cashiers, and customers were all laughing with me (or at me)!  I just couldn't seem to help myself.

That same day, while waiting in line at the grocery store, a grouchy customer in front of us was berating the cashier, called for the manager and proceded to berate him too.  With a smile on my face, I calmly leaned over to the cashier who was almost in tears, and asked her if she would like me to put a boot in his a**.  She smiled, the manager smiled, the customer glared and my husband just shook his head!  Needless to say, that crotchity old coot didn't give her anymore grief.

Believe me, I'm not oblivious to the fact that some people are hurting around the holidays and I try to pay particular attention and show extra kindness and compassion if I see someone who I think may need a smile and a kind word.  I've been known to put my arm around many a stranger and squeeze them tight so that they might feel that someone cares about them.  As I come across people out and about, I try to maintain a "there you are" vs a "here I am" attitude...to celebrate people!

Often times at a Christmas party, you will find me quietly drinking it all in...the faces, the conversations, the decorations, the food.  I make catalogue of it all in my memory as a treasure, to pull out later when I need a magical moment to remember. 

I hope that you all had a wonderful season from Thanksgiving through Christmas.  I pray that you were able to give of yourselves to to others and that others gave of themselves to you!  If you had an opportunity to meet with family and friends, cherish that time; memorize it and pull it back out of your memory the next time you need a smile.  I wish for you the most blessed new year and many wonderful memories made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for giving us a little nugget of truth from your heart!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...